America's Pastime



Gosh I had forgotten how fun baseball can be. Alex and I attended Scout night for the NY-Penn League (Class A) local team the Troy Valley Cats. Allie Cat... Valley Cat.. I thought of this in the AM I should have gotten something for my niece.

Anyway Alex and I had a wonderful time. Did you know that Troy is one of the first cities in the US to have had a professional baseball team? I did of course because I have read a ton of baseball history. The Troy Trojans were that first team.

They (the baseball pundits) say that it at this level through the farm teams that the "real" game of baseball is played. The historical environment of small parks, low paid and dedicated players, and tons of family fun are surely present at our local Troy Valley Cats games. I could actually hear the opposing players from their dugout shouting encouragement or epiphets!

The players are YOUNG.. oh my. All their birthday's fell within 1980 to 1983. My college years. I was able to see the whole game and I did "score" it. This is a method of using symbols on a score card that allows anyone who understands the symbols to tell exactly what happened in the game. I enjoy this for live baseball. Alex had a great time with the Scouts and talking to the ball boy.

After the team won they let the children attending run the base paths. The players sign autographs etc. All and all a great time.

OBCD today:
Eclectic Part II
Simon House: Spiral Galaxy Revisited
Peter Gabrial UP
MohoDisco: Kaloomith (NOT disco)
Bowie: Heathen
Angalard: Epilog
Hawkwind: White Zone

Presently reading: The rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Morris. (WOW what an amazing writer he is)

Quote of the Day: The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them.
-- Lois McMaster Bujold, Diplomatic Immunity, 2002

Comments

Popular posts from this blog