Daily blah

Woke up late this am because the sun was not shining through the window as it usually does on Summer Am's. Why? Because it was pouring. Now I don't mind a good rainstorm but wow this was biblical. We don't do things by halves here in the East Coast. We get snow 6 mo of the year (last year at least). We have the most beautiful autumns in the country, and when it rains, as they say, it pours. I'm in a decent mood today all things considered. Considering the train is still derailing at work. Considering I haven't seen my son in 5 days. Considering the direction the country is going....




George's homophobia

I have some things I want you to ponder regarding this initiative about gay marriages.

The religious argument: Can anyone show me in the bible (not one of these loosely translated ones by some southern Baptist mind you - but say an RC or Episcopal version) solid proof that says that homosexuality is a sin? And don't try to use the non procreation argument here. If you use this argument every man and woman married who either do not have children or those poor souls where one or the other cannot have children are violating the tenants of the Bible by having sex without procreation. I hope some clever soul uses this point in the forthcoming debates. And that a octogenarian celibate man has also come out against gay and lesbian marriages affects me none at all. Not only am I not RC, but I think that the Pope is very out of touch with this Century.

So as far as I'm concerned the religious argument is specious. So lets look at the real reasons that this latest Bush wackiness.

The Business argument: Simply stated if gay men and lesbian women in the US are allowed to marry then big business (read here Republicans) will have oodles more liability than they presently have with the present laws on the books today. If you don't think for a minute that this is a major motivator behind this initiative you don't know how the Republicans work.

The "Icky" argument: Lets face it folks, there has to some bit of this here as well. Its an easy slam, as many straight men have a visceral reaction to gay men and their sexual habits. Personally what you do behind closed door is your own business, and I am sure many straight couples explore their sexuality in such a way that is similar to gay sex. So much of this in my mind is the simple fact that many straight people take it upon themselves to imagine what goes on behind closed doors in homosexual relationships and find themselves appalled. My fix for that is keep your mind to yourself.

The Elect me argument This is another of what I have been calling "brave stands" by the Bush administration. They come out on talking points or initiatives that a majority of voters agree with. Yes I do realize that over half of America is against Gay or Lesbian Marriages. But it is point of government to protect the MINORITY in our society from the MAJORITY if need be. We did it for women (though they are the majority) with suffrage. We did it for African Americans with Civil Rights legislation. So there is a precedent.

So why should homosexuals be allowed to marry?

1) AIDS. That's right. Stable monogamous relationships reduce the spread of AIDS in the American Gay community. To me this is a no brainer.

2) Its the moral thing to do. Why should someone's sexuality put them at a disadvantage in terms of their civil rights? This is the strongest Legal argument and hopefully the one that will knock any new legislation into the ash can of history by the courts. (I know that is far fetched with this Supreme Court but one can hope).

Are these people inferior to you as a straight man or woman? Can you explain a logical reason WHY they are if you think so? Please email me that bit of thought, I'd love to hear it.

3) Because God would want it that way. Ok now you think I'm mad as a hatter. But this is faith. I just can't believe for a minute that a loving and caring God (be it Hairy Thunderer or Meadow Muffin) would NOT want two human beings who love each other and wish to spend the rest of their lives together to marry.




Still reading: American Empire - The Center cannot hold.

OBCD today: Matrix reloaded soundtrack. The new 3cd Zeppelin release. Some new shows I got in trade.

QOTD: A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog