Survivor Guilt

First of all accept my apology if you have been watching the story of the company that went to the dogs. I've had news since Thursday night.

The CFO called me around 5:15pm on Thursday and asked me if I wanted to get back to work. I did ask, doing what, as I had heard through the gapevine that things had totally gone to the dogs, and all deals were off.

The details of just how the CFO convinced the owner to turn over JUST Electronic Doc to him must alas go unmentioned.

The deal itself is simple. The CFO, the ED tech and myself are continuing the commercial electronic repair "division" as a new entity. Apparently it is being fully funded so we can launch marketing and advertising for the Echostar "dish" sales and installation that we can do.

The reason that this entry is titled survivor guilt is that we three are the only ones who will have gainful employment from the wreckage of the previous company. And I am feeling it big time. The least amount of time I've worked with any one of these great people was a little over a year, a guy who came over from one of the Cable companies and a man I admire and respect. Others I have known since my start at the old company, two of which I have considered my business "family" and have a great deal of affection for.

I have made one promise to them. And that is to ramp up the new company as quickly as possible with other services so that IF they have not found other jobs we can work together again. I will be turning over all the fiddling little paperwork details that have taken up so much of my life at the old company to the CFO so I can go out and SELL.

So I spent the day at the old office. Cleaning up open orders, massaging angry customers whose work has not been touched for a week. Scheduling and rescheduling Satellite installs. The day was a blur. In addition the CFO is actively looking for a new place for us. The building we are in now is a terminal case and we cannot stay. Either the Bank is going to repo it from the owner or the Power is going to be turned off, either of which could happen as early as Monday or Tuesday. Either way we have to be out of there as quickly as possible.

So there ya have it. The backstory is that apparently Wednesday was a tumultuous day for the principles as a deal for the whole shebang (cable repair and consumer electronic repair) was first On then Off then On then Off etc etc. Finally one of the principles just gave up on the owner and his lawyers.

Thursday AM the CFO and the owner met one more time and as I said, things were said that convinced the owner it would be in his best interest to let us take the consumer electronics repair division with us, without his participation in the new firm. God I'd love to have been a fly on that wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog