"So you want to write?"

A very clever literary device available to bloggers is the ability to write entries in the past. Variously called back dating or as I call it "BackBlogging" the clever blogger can insert a piece where it fits the best.

In this case this short piece on my desire to write, is not being written today, Oct 27 as it says on the date line, but Tomorrow Oct 28th, by writing it today Oct 28th, and setting the date for yesterday Oct 27th.

Yea I'm thinking of doing some Time Travel stuff.

So brother G sent me this great book called "Writing for Science Fiction" by a fairly famous Sci Fi writer whose name is unimportant now. Ok its Orsen Scott Card, of the Ender series fame. I read it when he sent it and put it away.

Turns out its part of a series by the Writers Digest people of small tomes that explicate the various parts of Fiction writing.

MW, G, L, and a host of other people represented by initials so as not to reveal their true identities, have been urging me to go into writing on a more serious basis. Believe it or not it is from reading all these meanderings and musings for the past two years. Go figure.

Brother G thinks I should write Sci Fi, for a million reasons none of which are important to no one but me, so I won't bore you with them. Suffice to say I'm going to give it a try.

I am going to try a few things to break in, none of which will involve painfully writing the "Great American Novel" (GAN) for the next five years only to have it rejected as too pedantic. These will include in no order, and not necessarily inclusively, writing some short stories for Sci Fi Mags like Analog or Asimov's; writing something for some of the Dr. Who Fanzines or anthologies; and, yes, working on the GAN as well.

To that end I will be trying to spend more time reading about writing, and more time just exercising my mind and imagination trying to come up with some good stories. One thing I came away with more than anything else from the how to book. It is all well and good to be a good writer, but if you don't have a story to tell, your carefully crafted prose will put the reader to sleep.

WAKE UP!!

;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog