Kindergarten Substitute.

Well I got a call on Sunday before going to work congratulating me on my decision ;-) and giving me my first assignment. Kindergarten at Troy School #12.

I couldn't sleep a wink last night I was so nervous and I won't even tell you how vivid my dreams were.

So at 7am I motored down the road to School #12 and reported for work. Luckily for me the teacher had JUST gone on maternity leave and there was an excellent lesson plans for today, tomorrow and Friday (Troy is closed on Yom Kippur).

Have you seen Kindergarten Cop, the cute scene where the kids say and ask really wacky things? It's true.

This week is brought to you by the numbers 1-4 and the letters E & F. We also did a science experiment with magnifying glasses. School 12 is a very mixed ethnic crowd, mostly black and hispanic, and the class was pretty evenly split boys and girls. Only a couple of kids tried to take advantage of the new substitute but the teacher had put in place some very good rules and systems so I had no troubles.

I go back to tomorrow and then "we will see" on Friday.

The amazing thing about today was how quickly the abject terror turned in to sheer enjoyment as I realized there was a planned and scheduled time for everything. You know 7:15 to 2:00 is pretty good hours all things considered, and the teacher has a half hour "lunch" off at 10:30 and a bit more near the end of the kids' day when they go to Music/Art/Gym for 40 min.

So I finally did it, and I loved it.

(And yes I still work RS nights (3pm on) and weekends)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog