Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Memories Mikey dredged up in a writing exercise



1. I remember the smell of the Elm trees walking to school with my friends. We thought it was Marijuana, but it was just Elm trees in bloom.

2. I remembering loosing my denim jacket in 7th grade, leaving it in a classroom, then realizing when I got back someone had stolen it. It was full of patches I had collected over the years. The feeling of being ripped off and violated was unforgettable.

3. I remember coming back from my 12th grade dance having met a Texan named Jennifer. I felt like I was floating on air, 2 feet over the ground.

4. I remember Mr. Eander in a sports coat and tie substituting for my 3rd grade classes. His phrases “The nerve of some people’s children” and hair looking like a “unmade bed” have stayed with me.

5. I remember showing up at a 9th grade dance with “hip” platform shoes and feeling completely out of place and foolish because no one was wearing anything like it.

6. I remember my photography class with Mr. Guthrie (the science teacher) in 8th grade and learning the trick of catching a sports photo. Then there was the thrill of catching a pole vaulter at the top of his arc when I was sent on my “assignment”.

7. I remember playing during recess at Dilworth Elementary at a very young age, probably 3rd grade. Going out near the fence beyond the field with Mark Warren using a paper spaceship we had built to collect shiny pieces of weather worn glass.

8. I remember making a marble slalom course down my desk in elementary school out of molding clay. The marbles would end up in my desk via a feat of clay engineering that Mobeus would have been proud of.

9. I remember standing on the desks in 5th grade during sex ed. And I was getting away with it because it was such a risqué subject.

10. I remember the first time I went head first in the snow during skiing. It was black and cold and I thought for a split second that I had snapped my neck and was dead.

11. I remember the shame of having broken the protective covering over the kiln firing clay in Kindergarten and being told that I had spoiled it for the whole class because it had dried out.

12. I remember flying to see my father and his new family via PSA Airlines what seemed every other weekend. I would get a nosebleed every time we descended due to the pressure changes. But I felt very adult flying unaccompanied with my brothers.

13. I remember playing “smear the queer” at my Dad’s and him bellowing into the back yard “who is a queer!!”. So we changed the name of the game to “Get the guy with the ball.”


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Diary of a Music Whore

Daddy's Roses

Alone on a Limb

(leave your link in the menu comments section, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog