Missing Jerry

Been listening to "the Dead" as you know from reading my blogs. I put on a New Years from 85/86 on Saturday because I wanted to hear Jerry. Though Jimmy Herring is doing a fine fine job on the guitar, Jerry's voice was unique.

From Phil Lesh's solo album sighted below I copy these lyrics written by Warren Hayes from "Patchwork Quilt" I was gardening last summer with this on the headphones when I first really "heard" these lyrics. Warren is very passionate about this stanza and it did make me cry.

_________________

We were at Jones Beach when we got the word
Saddest sound that I've ever heard
The bluest note that nobody could play
Ravens sang with us that night on the stage
Tears of sadness Tears of Rage
But nobody spoke, we all felt
Old and in the Way.

(snip)

And the blood of his music
runs through the veins of our guitars
Bright lights, dark star

_________________________________

Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog