New Office

At last we have moved to new digs. It is not glamorous by any stretch of imagination but it is "ours". The office consists of a big garage of all things, with a office built on the ground floor and a "mezzanine" level above it for another office open to the garage. I use these terms loosely, mezzanine and office but lo and behold when I came in the desk that I inherited from the old business was in the office below. I actually have four walls, an office! I have not had one in years, never had an office of my own at the old business.

Of course we do not have any phone or Internet service into the building at this time but we are working on it. Spent the day putting my desk together. I went up to Comp USA to get a more memory but the chassis of my computer is so ancient that they did not carry the correct type. So I will order it online instead.




Damaged Goods

For those of you who are not completely hooked into the Dr. Who cult (as the BBC calls it) the mental image that is conjured by Dr. Who (if you conjure one at all) is one of a harmless children’s/young adult show where the various actors that played the Dr. fight off various bug eyed monsters in bad makeup and worse sets.

In the 90's the BBC gave the book rights to Virgin publishing who proceeded to put out two books a month for a number of years. The two series were dubbed the Missing adventures (stories about previous incarnations of the Doctor) and the New Adventures (strictly about the last Doctor played by Sylvester McCoy).

As the NA's progressed they became more and more cutting edge sci-fi and less the childish romp of the old TV shows. I have just finished Russell Davie's "Damaged Goods" which came out near the end of the Virgin run. Imagine how much this genre has evolved when I tell you that this novel contains the following things: prostitution, cocaine abuse, homosexuality, psychic powers, and nasty ancient trans dimensional nasties. Sounds absurd doesn't it? Well I am here to tell you that this one book is one of the best Dr. Who novels I have ever read.

So why is this one time author important in the whole scheme of things? Well Mr. Davies went on to become a major player in the BBC TV writing and production area and has just been tagged as the major creative force behind the NEW Dr. Who series that will be broadcast in two years by "BBC Wales".

Now to think that the new Dr. Who series will contain ANY of these elements cited above except for the trans dimensional nasties (required for any sci fi series I suppose) is absurd at best. The BBC simply won't allow coke, prostitution and other darker human endeavors to be broadcast to their viewers. But it gives much hope to the future of the series that such a vibrant creative force will be guiding the new Dr. Who series.




OBCD today: Quality control by listening to one set of copies of the Portals, Movements and Structures II 4 cd set. I am impressed every time I hear this set again.

Still Reading: Now that I finished "Damaged Goods" I can concentrate on the JP Morgan bio I'm reading...

QOTD: If there's anything unsettling to the stomach, it's watching actors on television talk about their personal lives.
-- Marlon Brando

Comments

Popular posts from this blog