Startling Musical Revelation

This of course will not come as a surprise to many of my prog head friends, especially the fabulous prjt2501 (who theoretically reads this blog, as I read his).

In fact this should not come as a surprise to me either, but it did.

I'm referring to King Crimson. Now I've always loved their first Album, In the court of the Crimson King. But I got one of the later albums a long while ago and it didn't work for me, so I've stayed away from the stuff that followed.

Foolish me.

Today I was able to listen all day to King Crimson, from In the Court all the way to Red. WOW. I guess a bit of maturity does a lot for musical appreciation. This is not tap your toes, catchy music by any means. It is demanding to some extent, and a bit dissonant on some tracks. But the fusion of avant guard and jazz is just brilliant. I should have expected nothing less from Robert Fripp.

KC has had three "periods". The first 8 studio albums from 1969 to 1974. Then they disbanded. In 1981 they reformed and did three more albums which I have always loved. In fact I saw the Discipline tour when I was in College. In 1994 they have embarked upon a new direction different from those three albums, which I suppose I need to explore next, though I do have the Live ProjeKcts which I really do like.

Interesting that there were two 10 year hiatus.

For a good starting point as to what they have put out I recommend the ProgArchives and their King Crimson section

Anyway, this old prog head is always willing to say: "Gosh I was wrong".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog