Sunrise over Lake Champlain from Ticonderoga


Support the victims of Hurricane Katrina (click image)


Musings and Meanderings

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Startling Musical Revelation

This of course will not come as a surprise to many of my prog head friends, especially the fabulous prjt2501 (who theoretically reads this blog, as I read his).

In fact this should not come as a surprise to me either, but it did.

I'm referring to King Crimson. Now I've always loved their first Album, In the court of the Crimson King. But I got one of the later albums a long while ago and it didn't work for me, so I've stayed away from the stuff that followed.

Foolish me.

Today I was able to listen all day to King Crimson, from In the Court all the way to Red. WOW. I guess a bit of maturity does a lot for musical appreciation. This is not tap your toes, catchy music by any means. It is demanding to some extent, and a bit dissonant on some tracks. But the fusion of avant guard and jazz is just brilliant. I should have expected nothing less from Robert Fripp.

KC has had three "periods". The first 8 studio albums from 1969 to 1974. Then they disbanded. In 1981 they reformed and did three more albums which I have always loved. In fact I saw the Discipline tour when I was in College. In 1994 they have embarked upon a new direction different from those three albums, which I suppose I need to explore next, though I do have the Live ProjeKcts which I really do like.

Interesting that there were two 10 year hiatus.

For a good starting point as to what they have put out I recommend the ProgArchives and their King Crimson section

Anyway, this old prog head is always willing to say: "Gosh I was wrong".
posted by Mike 10:55 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The musings and meanderings of an overworked and underemployed mind