The RNC Day Two

Catching Arnold now. Apparently he became a Republican cause he liked Nixon. That's old tricky Dick for those of you who don't remember him, or live in the retroactively re written history that the rest of this party lives in. Maria does not look amused nor happy to be surrounded by Republicans. I'm sure the ghost of her cousin will be haunting her tonight.

Apparently its ok to respectfully disagree and still be patriotic as long as you are a Republican according to Arnold. But if you are a Democrat and participated in "the True Lies Convention" I guess you are not.... I would like to remind readers what Howard Dean said at the DNC:
We are not going to be afraid to stand up for what we believe in ever again. We are not going to let those who disagree with us shout us down under a banner of false patriotism.

Personally I found his speech to be jingoistic and highly offensive. It also showed a lack typical lack of a grasp of the facts. But I think he hit the nail on the head about what the difference is between the Republican's and the Democrat's.

He claimed true leadership does not look at the polls. Well this is true, but true leadership looks to the opinions of the people who elected them, and does not assume that they know best. The arrogance of this administration is what angers so many in this country. Its like the Federalist Debates of the late 1700's. Are the American People capable of making their own decisions or should decisions be made for them by those who think they know better for you? If you are the former then I think you are probably today's Democrat, the latter then I think you are probably today's Republican.

Ok George's girls are major babes. Enough said about that. And about interesting as the Heinz girls. Moving on..... Oh and their hamster didn't make it... Mrs. Bush must have been a uber babe if she looked anything like Jenna... Ok I'll stop now.

Mrs. Bush was quite charming and and all I expected. I couldn't expect anything more than what she said. And frankly I was not super interested in what she had to say. Like she said at the beginning, "if you were to ask me over Coffee why you should vote for my husband"... Well what else would she say?

There are some interesting themes throughout this Convention so far. One is an attempt to dispute the Kerry/Edward's claim of "Two America's". Rudy and Arnold both used derisive comments to poke fun at the "Two America's" claim of Kerry/Edwards. More on that later this week I hope.

Another is the rehashing of the Compassionate Conservativism theme. Trotting out programs like "No Child Left Behind" as proof that it works, when this one of the most underfunded programs in the last four years compared to what was promised. Another sign of the self delusion that this Administration lives under. Like claiming the Economy is turning around. Like claiming WMD's in Iraq. Like providing a tax cut for the rich and then claiming they are for the middle class. Its like Georbels Big Lie. Say it loud enough and long enough and people will believe it. And they do.

A third is completely associating 9/11, patriotism and being a good American with being a Republican. 9/11 and the response to it is the reason to re-elect Bush Administration. I'm afraid being a sales person my outlook is: "thanks for what you did for me then, but what are you going to do for me in the future." Point being where is the plan for the next four years? I've not heard it.

A fourth is this patrician belief that if you just work hard you can do anything you want in America. This one just boggles me and Republicans use this as the basis for their obstruction of any programs that would benefit the less fortunate. Not every American is equal. This is a fact of economic life, yet in the rose tinted world of the neo conservative, every one in America can grow up to be whatever they want. Go see the inner cities George, and tell me all American's have the same opportunities.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog